Saturday, December 30, 2006

Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome

I'm fairly certain (99.9%) that I am affected by EDS (Classical Type). I once spoke to a dermatologist about it, and after a few questions1 he informed me that it's "nothing to worry about" because my symptoms were not terribly great. Further research on my part, however, revealed that he was only partly correct, which did not surprise me as he was an Army doctor and had previously, concerning another condition with which I am mildly afflicted, instructed me to "Google it" if I wanted more information2. The correct part of his prognosis is that the symptoms I display are not life-threatening (which, to the Army, meant unimportant), but it is certainly not "nothing to worry about." A sufficient or persistent force (lifting a heavy object or running long distances, for example) will subluxate my left shoulder or left hip, respectively, so I must be careful to not overexert these joints. Many of my joints are double-jointed and/or susceptible to subluxation, including wrists, elbows, hips, shoulders, thumbs, pinkies, and ankles. Also, I have moderate skin hyperextensibility, muscle hypotonia, and joint hypermobility, and I have at least one spheroid on my left forearm (feels like a BB under the skin).
Why should you care? Well, if you're related to me on my mother's side, there is a chance that you, too, are affected by Classical Type EDS because I'm fairly certain (again about 99.9%) that I inherited it from my maternal grandfather (it's autosomal dominant). Because the symptoms vary greatly in severity, you may have it and not notice, but double-jointed thumbs may be a good indicator. If you're interested in learning more, check out the links provided throughout this post or, in the words of perhaps the worlds greatest doctor, Google it. (Hey, at least I gave a link.)

1Doc: Can you touch the tip of your tounge to the tip of your nose?
Me: No.
Doc: Are you very flexible?
Me: Yes. *places foot behind head*
2Additionally, when I asked how to spell keratosis pilaris (I actually said, "How do you spell that?" because I could barely discern what he'd said), he seemed very agitated that I was so stupid. To that colonel who worked in dermatology at Madigan Army Medical Center in the fall of 2003 (who shall herein remain unnamed), I point out this web comic. Essentially, I mean that that doctor is a jackass.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tom,

I too have EDS Classical or Hypermobility type. I know where mine came from and have traced the line back for a number of generations finding several EDS cousins along the way.

I wonder if we are related too? My family concerned go back to the Fletchers of Lancashire.

Pat in Sussex,England

3:34 PM  
Blogger John said...

Is this why you were asking about my thumbs last weekend?

6:46 AM  
Blogger John said...

Hey, why are some of my comments on previous posts now listed as from "Anonymous" ?

And why is "Arise Chicken" double posted, with 3 other posts separating?

Are you trying to do something nefarious with your blog?

6:51 AM  
Blogger tom said...

No, John, I assure you this blog remains on the up and up. The recent anomalies you've detected are likely due to the "upgrade" from the old blogger to the new blogger, which is owned by Google and linked to my Google account. Please ignore any further discrepencies.

1:48 AM  
Blogger phil said...

Aunt Laurie has a problem with her hips falling out of socked easily - think it's related?

2:18 AM  
Blogger tom said...

Phil: Yes.
Pat: I haven't traced my family history very far back, but I'm pretty certain my family concerned is not from Great Britain. Check out The EDNF for more info. They also list local groups in the US, but there may be a similar organization in the UK. Good luck!

11:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here I thought I might have figured out why my jaw falls out of place when I yawn... Wrong side of the family.

12:11 AM  
Blogger Braddock said...

Thanks for the link to that comic strip. Dan Miller's father did that trick to Dan and I but then he never did the smug part so I have been wondering what was the third word ending in gry. All that time wasted, damn it Dan's father I should kick you sqaure in the nutz (I like spelling it with a z)

4:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home