Sunday, May 30, 2004

Fixin' Stuff

Well, it seems as though I am not the only one that is having problems with my laptop. Had a buddy break his DVD drive; he got a CD stuck in it and forced it open, disconnecting the ribbon that attaches to the read laser and assembly and forcing the whole thing off track. I took it apart once and put it back on track and reconnected the cable, but when I put it all back together (with only 4 screws left over...) the drive couldn't open without someone pulling it open. I took it all apart again (nice, found where one of the extra screws is supposed to go) and realized that the mechanism that opens the drive was in the position for the drive to be open when the drive is closed. I set it to the closed position, closed the drive and it works fine. Now if I could only figure out where these 3 screws go...

1 Comments:

Blogger phil said...

Yup, those slim-line drives are a pain. I had similar problems with my laptop, but the worst was the floppy drive. It just stopped working one day (this was a few years ago when people still used floppy drives), I eventually took it apart and found that there was nothing wrong with the motor or the read head, but that the thin, cheap metal frame (inside the plastic cover) was bent ever so slightly - nearly imperceptible, but enough to prevent the disk from spinning properly - it was very tight in there to begin with. Well, I never did get it working 100%, and I don't use the junk anymore anyhow.

5:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home