Monday, March 13, 2006

Sandwich Artist?

Have you ever noticed that the nametags worn by Subway (the restaraunt, not mass-transit) employees read "Sandwich Arist?" Well, I certainly have, and I've been subjected to the "art" that the people behind the tags create. Let's get something straight: I like artists and their creations; I like seeing, hearing, and (occasionally) smelling brilliance. I can even appreciate that some chefs are considered artists, and in those cases, I enjoy tasting the art. I do not, however, believe that the workers behind the counter at Subway are, in any way, artists--I patronize their establishment because I want a sandwich, not because I expect to find the next Picasso, Monet, or Warhol (well, OK, maybe Warhol).
So the next time I order an Oven-Roasted Chicken Breast sub, I do not want a piece of art, some charlatan's feeble attmept at a masterpiece. The chicken goes on the bottom!Yes, under the cheese and veggies!

2 Comments:

Blogger phil said...

I agree. I like subway and have accepted their "Sandwich Artist" propaganda as mere advertising gimick - which has been around for at least as long as I've known of the existence of Subway restaurants (there should be a more appropriate word for this sort of place than restaurant which carries the connotation of a traditional sit-down place with waitresses and everything.)

Here's a related "Best of Craigslist" rant from a "Sandwich Artist" in response to someone's rant about sandwich artists.
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/about/best/van/132257736.html

4:45 AM  
Blogger BWE said...

I have taught a few art classes and I can say with some certainty that there are very few picasso's out there. I suppose that some are simply "bad" sandwich artists.

4:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home